You’ve a superpower that you simply may not find out about: the ability to make one other individual glow.
In reality, a research discovered that we underestimate how completely satisfied somebody feels after they obtain a praise. As a happiness and well-being knowledgeable, I at all times remind people who these small acts of kindness have a huge impact.
So channel your considerate aspect right this moment and let individuals know that they matter to you. Listed here are 9 little phrases you may say to immediately brighten somebody’s day:
1. “I’m happy with you.”
This praise is usually reserved for large achievements, like a promotion or commencement. However the individuals round you get up on daily basis and check out their greatest to realize their objectives, make a optimistic influence and overcome challenges.
So do not forget to rejoice different types of effort, too:
- Once they make progress (e.g., engaged on a difficult challenge or sticking with a brand new behavior for a number of days).
- Once they attempt one thing for the primary time (e.g., a sport or on-line class).
- Once they exhibit character (e.g., talking truthfully or appearing with compassion).
Everybody has distinctive strengths, however may not know what they’re. Research have discovered that utilizing your strengths is related to living a happier life.
Show people what they’re best at so they’ll feel more confident by calling it out when you see it in action. And be as specific as you can.
A few examples:
- To a colleague: “You were so patient as you walked the client through the contract and answered all of their questions.”
- To a friend: “You always make me laugh, even during the toughest times.”
- To a boss: “Your clear presentation helped me to better understand our bigger company strategy.”
3. “Tell me more about that.”
One thing that’s guaranteed to make someone’s day: asking them to tell you more about their interests, feelings and experiences. Being listened to helps people to feel safe, supported and acknowledged.
Here are three ways to create space for others to open up:
- Find out what is important to them: “What do you do for growth and purpose?”
- After something happens to them, ask them to elaborate on their experience: “What did it feel like when you heard you’d won the deal?”
- Invite them to go deeper and share their perspective: “Tell me more about how you interpreted that feedback.”
People have a deep need to feel accepted and loved. It’s important to remind them that they’re wonderful — not just for what they do, but for who they are.
Reminding someone of their value can take many forms, like:
- To a direct report: “I feel lucky that you are on our team.”
- To a colleague: “I admire you.”
- To a friend: “I love spending time with you.”
Expressions of gratitude start a positive upward cycle. A study found when you feel appreciated by your romantic partner, you also become more appreciative of them.
Gratitude even transforms work cultures by reducing uncivil behavior on teams.
A few words of appreciation can kickstart this change:
- To a partner: “Thank you for cooking dinner tonight so I could rest.”
- To a direct report: “I am grateful for your insightful comments in that meeting.”
- To a friend: “Thank you for a great phone call. Your advice really helped me.”
6. “You are making a difference.”
Having purpose in life is associated with greater life satisfaction and better health. Since finding purpose is a long-term goal that can take a career or a lifetime to fulfill, it’s easy for people to feel discouraged along the way.
Keep others motivated by reminding them of the good they’re doing now:
- Draw their attention to someone who is positively affected by their work: “Did you see how that customer walked out with a big smile on their face?”
- Remind them of the ripple effect of their actions: “The money you raised is going to help families who need housing this winter.”
- Point out how their work accumulates to make a bigger impact on the world: “As a therapist, you’re helping to solve our society’s mental health crisis.”
7. “You inspire me.”
Who has been inspiring you lately? Have you told them so? We tend to keep these feelings to ourselves, but imagine how much it would mean to someone to hear it:
Here’s a helpful script you can use:
- Start with: “You inspire me …”
- Then add the reason why: “… in the way you show up for your friends and family…”
- Finally, share the impact it has had: “… and it’s made me think about how I can be a better friend.”
We’ve all struggled with gaining confidence, especially when trying new things. What we need during those moments is something that psychologists call self-efficacy, or the belief that you can take on a challenge successfully.
Here’s how you can help boost it in others:
- Remind them of past successes: “You got through that hard time at work a few years ago, and I know you can do it again.”
- Help them to reframe the obstacle into a challenge: “This is a chance to show your incredible skills in action.”
- Point out a recent win: “You did an incredible job presenting in yesterday’s meeting. I know you can do it again for this more senior audience.”
9. “You changed my life.”
Think about someone who has had a great impact on your life, but who you never properly thanked. Maybe it was a teacher who helped you master a subject, or a mentor in your first job.
Give them a call, send them a note or visit them in person to express how their support changed your life.
Every time you give someone a compliment, there’s a bonus in store for you: It doesn’t just make the other person glow; it ends up making you glow, too.
Stephanie Harrison is the founder of The New Happy, an organization advancing a new philosophy of happiness. She is an expert in happiness, speaker, designer, and author of the forthcoming book “The New Happy,” published by Penguin Random House. Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
Do not miss:
Need to earn extra and work much less? Register for the free CNBC Make It: Your Cash digital occasion on Dec. 13 at 12 p.m. ET to study from cash masters like Kevin O’Leary how one can enhance your incomes energy.